Rethymno (Ρέθυμνο), the beautiful port city in the northern part of the Greek island of Crete, is a popular excursion destination for holidaymakers in Plakias. You can change buses here if you arrive by plane from Heraklion or Chania to get to Plakias.
Rethymno is known for its stunning beaches and rich history. The city has a charming old town with narrow streets, Venetian-style houses, and numerous historical landmarks. It is a popular destination for tourists who want to explore the island’s culture and nature.
The city of Rethymno has a long history dating back to the ancient times. It was founded by the Minoans and later conquered by the Romans and the Byzantines. In the 13th century, it became a Venetian colony and remained under Venetian rule until 1646. The city has many Venetian and Ottoman influences, which can be seen in its architecture and culture.
Places of interest in Rethymno
Worth seeing are the many buildings from the Venetian and Ottoman times, including many churches and mosques.
Above the city is the Fortezza, a Venetian fortification. The Rimondi fountain is a popular photo motif in the old town centre. In this area there are many bars and cafés, which invite you to stay. Taverns and small souvlaki snacks alternate with shops selling mainly souvenirs.
Only a few steps further it becomes quieter, here there are small kafenia and bakeries, the hustle and bustle of the tourist groups gets lost and the inhabitants of Rethymno sit in the small alleys in front of their houses at a café frappé, children play and cats creep around the house corners.
The weekly market in Rethymno is definitely worth a visit – as well as a visit to the historic old town. Marktet in Rethymno – Google Maps
Here are 5 places of interest in Rethymno that you should visit during your vacation:
- The Fortezza Castle: The Fortezza Castle is a well-preserved Venetian fortress that was built in the 16th century to protect the city from pirates and other threats. The castle has a museum that displays artifacts from the city’s history, including weapons, coins, and ceramics.
- The Old Town: The Old Town is a charming area with narrow streets, traditional houses, and numerous shops, cafes, and restaurants. It is a great place to explore on foot and discover the city’s history and culture.
- The Rimondi Fountain: The Rimondi Fountain is a beautiful Venetian fountain that was built in the 17th century. It is located in the heart of the Old Town and is a popular spot for tourists to take pictures.
- The Venetian Harbor: The Venetian Harbor is a picturesque area with a long pier and many fishing boats. It is a great place to relax and watch the sunset.
- The Historical and Folklore Museum: The Historical and Folklore Museum is located in a traditional Cretan house and displays artifacts and documents related to the city’s history and culture.
Rethymno on the map
The travel time by bus from Plakias is about 60 minutes depending on the traffic situation, by rental car about 45 minutes.